Voting Q & A

-A A +A
By Carol A. Clark

Q. When are elections held?
A. Primary elections are held the first Tuesday in June in even-numbered years.
General elections are held the Tuesday after the first Monday in November in even-numbered years. This year the election falls on Nov. 2.
Regular school district elections are held the first Tuesday in February in odd-numbered years, which will be this coming February.
Special elections and bond elections are held as called for by the school board or the county council.
Q. When are the polls open?
A. Polling places are open from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. If you are in line when the polls close, you may still vote.
Q. Can I vote early?
A. Yes, absentee in-person voting begins the 28th day preceding an election through the Saturday immediately prior to the election, which began Tuesday. Absentee in-person voting may be done in the County Clerk’s Office.
Commencing on the third Saturday prior to an election, you may vote early at an alternate location established by the County Clerk. Early voting may be done from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday.
Contact the County Clerk’s Office for specific absentee voting information.
Q. What about regular absentee voting?
A. Absentee voting is done by mail. Anyone may vote absentee as long as they are registered in the county in which he/she resides. Absentee voting begins on the 28th day prior to an election; however, you may apply for an absentee ballot at any time. Absentee ballot applications may be requested from the office of the County Clerk and must be filled out completely in order to receive an absentee ballot.
NOTE:  A voter must submit a separate application for each election requesting an absentee ballot.  
Q. What about Armed Forces voters?
A. Members of the Armed Forces, spouses and dependants of the Army, Navy, Air Force and Marines may also vote absentee. It is important if you are active military, to contact your commander or voting officer for the proper procedure.
You may also visit the Federal Voting Assistance Program website sponsored by the Department of Defense at www.fvap.gov.
Q. What about overseas citizens voters?
A. For overseas citizens who may wish to vote by an absentee ballot, contact your Embassy for information of how to apply.  
For more information, visit www.losalamosnm.us/clerk/Pages/RegisteringandVoting.aspx or call 662-8010.
Source: Los Alamos County Web site