Child rape case heads to court

-A A +A

Crime: Local man faces felony sex charges

By Whitney Jones

The case of alleged child rapist Stephen Geisik is advancing to District Court.

The Los Alamos man’s preliminary hearing scheduled for Thursday was waived and Judge Pat Casados requested that case be bound over to the higher court. Geisik, 21, is charged with five counts of criminal sexual penetration of a minor under age 13 —a first-degree felony; and two counts of contributing the delinquency of a minor — a fourth-degree felony.

The case will likely be transferred next Wednesday once the district attorney files the appropriate paperwork.

Assistant District Attorney Kent Wahlquist said it’s standard procedure for a magistrate court to conduct the preliminary hearing in felony cases – where probable cause is determined - and then send it over to district court to hear the full felony case.

He said in Geisik’s case the preliminary hearing was waived.

Court documents state that Geisik was allegedly sexually involved on more than one occasion with a 12-year-old female minor.

According to court documents, the 12-year-old victim told investigators that she allegedly had been spending time with Geisik at his home and at a March 30 party in Rendija Canyon — there they would drink and smoke marijuana. She alleged that she had sex with Geisik “enough” times, but explained that she never felt forced to do so. She also alleged that Geisik had asked some of her friends to join them.

The unidentified minor is the same 12-year-old girl who reported construction workers had raped her earlier this year — a claim that was determined to be unfounded.

Police reports show that in an April 19 interview Geisik initially denied the girl’s allegations that the two had sex stating he knew this would happen if he hung out with the 12-year-old too much. However, toward the end of the interview, Geisik admitted to having sex with her on one occasion — a statement which contradicts that of the victim.

Authorities then arrested Geisik. He was initially in jail being held on a $50,000 cash-only bond, but was released from jail May 1 on a $10,000 signature bond.

Geisik’s court-appointed attorney Joachim Marjon could not be reached for comment.