Cannon family releases statement following positive ID

-A A +A

LAPD > Releases a few more details on the case

By The Staff

The Cannon family released a statement Tuesday following the positive identification of Michael T. Cannon by the Office of Medical Investigation in Albuquerque this week.
The statement said, “The Cannon family would like to thank the community, friends, and their church family for their love, compassion and support. The family would also like to ask the community for privacy and thoughtfulness at this tender time. Thank you,” the statement said.
Cannon, who was 66 at the time of his disappearance on June 25, 2011, went out for a bike ride on some trails in the White Rock area and did not return.
The Los Alamos Police Department released a few more details on the case.
Cannon was reported missing the day before the Las Conchas Fire started in late June 2011.
According to the LAPD press release, residents reported seeing him walking in White Rock on the day of his disappearance.
Los Alamos police, family and community members began searching nearby trails and canyons near White Rock that day.
During the month of July 2011, wider searches were conducted around White Rock utilizing search and rescue, search dogs, police, civilians and aircraft.
A water search was also conducted along the Rio Grande.
The Los Alamos Police Department investigations division continued to search periodically and follow up on tips to attempt and locate Cannon over the next few years.
On July 29, 2013, a hiker located human remains on San Ildefonso Pueblo land north of White Rock and contacted the Los Alamos Police Department. Los Alamos Police detectives worked with the Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA) Special Agents from the Northern Pueblo Agency and a specialist from the Office of the Medical Investigator (OMI) to process the scene.
Samples of the remains that were recovered were sent to the University of North Texas Center for Human Identification.
DNA samples were sent to UNT Health Center from a family member related to Michael T. Cannon in his maternal lineage.
On April 17, the LAPD investigations division was then notified that a DNA match was made and The Office of the Medical Investigator indicated a positive identification was made and the remains were that of Cannon. The cause of death remains undetermined.