Every year, approximately 1,400 communities around the country take part in a Communities Responding to Overcome Poverty (CROP) Hunger Walk, in an effort to take a stand against hunger and help those in need. Los Alamos is no exception.
This year, the “CROP Hunger Walk & Turkey Trot” will start at 2 p.m. Sunday, November 24, at the Los Alamos Middle School and will feature a 2.57-mile family fun walk/run, with an optional shorter 1.7-mile route that bypasses the stables.
How does a walk raise money for hunger? Those participating in the walk ask their co-workers, friends and family to sponsor them by donating money for their efforts in the walk. They can get a sponsor packet from walk organizers at their place of worship or by calling those named at the end of this article. Walkers and runners turn in the funds when they register the day of the walk.
A full 25 percent of these donations go to local hunger efforts. In Los Alamos, it goes to the LA Cares food pantry. The remaining 75 percent goes toward global hunger relief efforts through Church World Service (CWS) or any one of 37 denominational partners of CWS, chosen by the participant.