Firefighters rushed to the scene at 915 Rim Road off 15th Street at 1:35 Friday afternoon to find a basement filled with smoke and partially engulfed in flames.
Homeowner Jennie Richardson was in the basement, heard the smoke alarm, turned and saw smoke, ran outside and called 911.
“The response was wonderful,” Richardson said. “The fire department got here so quickly and they were able to rescue my three dogs and get them safely outside.”
Fire Marshal Michael Thompson, who is six days from retirement, said an individual was in an upstairs bedroom. He was not able to go downstairs due to heavy smoke so firefighters extended a ladder to the upstairs balcony and he was able to get out safely.