More details emerged Thursday regarding the gas leak that forced the Los Alamos Middle School to go into shelter for about an hour Wednesday.
James Richardson, the deputy utilities manager for gas, water and sewer, said a contractor who was installing underground cable, accidentally drilled a one-inch hole into a four-inch medium gas main. The drilling took place on middle school property and Richardson estimated the leak was about 500 feet from the nearest building.
Richardson said the call came in at 12:15 p.m. Richardson said it took crews 20 minutes to get to the site. It took 10 minutes to isolate the leak and another 20 minutes to pinch the leak.
Richardson said that gas was restored to the school by 2:30 p.m.
“It’s always serious when there is a hole in the gas line,” Richardson said. “The middle school was sheltered and there was no danger to kids. … I am proud of our guys. They got on it fast. They isolated it and restored service quickly.”
Richardson said the contractor followed proper protocol in contacting the 811 locate system before they started drilling. Richardson said DPU notified 811, telling them about possible lines.