.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Local News

  • Former secretary of state indicted on 50 counts

    A grand jury has returned indictments against former Secretary of State Rebecca Vigil Giron and three others, alleging misuse of public money. 

    Attorney General Gary King said Wednesday that the grand jury handed down a 50-count indictment including charges of fraud, embezzlement, money-laundering and receiving illegal kickbacks. 

    The charges stem from federal tax dollars used under the Help America Vote, which educated people about voting through the use of TV commercials.

    An audit of the program revealed some $3 million dollars was unaccounted for.

  • Fire union wins prohibited practice complaint; County wins impasse resolution

    The Los Alamos Firefighters Association Union 3279 has prevailed in the prohibited practices complaint it filed against the County of Los Alamos.

    The Labor Management Relations Board ruled that the county committed a prohibited practice including a violation of the County Labor Management Relations Ordinance by unilaterally implementing a 3 percent pay increase for firefighters on April 7 without union consent.

    The board asked what relief the union requested in the prohibited practice ruling.

  • Monthly household hazardous waste collections set to begin

    The once-a-year household hazardous waste collection will convert to a monthly schedule at the Eco Station beginning in September.

    Los Alamos County’s Environmental Services Department made an exciting addition to the Eco Station with the installation of a household hazardous waste (HHW) facility.

  • Morning traffic jam at Diamond and Sycamore

    A notice from the county explained a lengthy delay Thursday morning during rush hour.

    The traffic bottleneck on Diamond Drive between 7:30 a.m. and 8:15 a.m. was caused mostly by a single vehicle attempting a prohibited left turn onto Sycamore Street from Diamond, according to field personnel observing the incident.

    The Department of Public Utilities announcement stated that the driver was unresponsive to redirection, to ease traffic flow.

  • Judge denies registered sex offender’s appeal

    The New Mexico Court of Appeals has ruled against local resident Thomas Edward (Ted) Vives in his appeal of a Santa Fe District Court, which ordered him to register as a sex offender with the New Mexico Sex Offender Registry.

    Vives, 44, pled nolo contendere or no contest in Florida in 1992 to charges he engaged in a sex act with a child under 18 years old.

  • Diamond Drive project hits a speedbump

    Snarled traffic, uncooperative drivers and delays ranging from 40-50 minutes plagued those traveling Diamond Drive and the surrounding streets earlier this week.

    Left turns within the Diamond Drive Phase 3 project are now prohibited. This went into effect on Thursday. Right turns are permitted, however.

  • Gov. proposes mandatory jail time, no loopholes for DWI offenders

  • Superintendent welcomes teachers, shares school year mission

    Superintendent Gene Schmidt minced few words explaining the financial state of Los Alamos Public Schools due mainly to declining enrollment during the last five years.

    Enrollment has fallen by 100 students from last spring alone.

    The district’s current student population has dipped below 3,100 and that’s down from some 3,500 students in 2004, he said.

    During Schmidt’s talk at Duane Smith Auditorium, he informed teachers that as a way to make up those losses, the district will accept a limited number of out of district students this year.

  • School board passes several policies

    A number of policies were unanimously passed at Tuesday’s school board meeting.

    Policiy1340 – School Building Names allows local schools to be given names compatible with and reflective of the environment and culture of New Mexico. Individual school buildings should have descriptive titles, and the change to this policy approved Tuesday is that it may now include the name of a person who is presently living or is deceased.

  • Boyer: We have not performed

    E-mails have been sent, comments have been submitted and the public has made phone calls to council regarding options for the Trinity Site development, in hopes that council would reach a decision about the project.

    However, after four hours of discussion at the special council session held Thursday night, councilors still have not reached a decision.

    Residents had about three weeks to submit comments to councilors and let them know which of the three choices they would like council to move forward with. The three options are: