All that’s needed is a signature by President Barack Obama.
On Thursday afternoon, the U.S. Senate passed the Defense Authorization Bill, which would authorize the following funding for the Los Alamos National Laboratory and the National Nuclear Security Administration for fiscal year 2012.
• Clean up of nuclear weapons sites: $5 billion, which includes $189 million for LANL and $215 million for the Waste Isolation Pilot Plant in Carlsbad
• Authorized $9.9 million for a new Transuranic (TRU) Waste Facility at LANL
• CMRR building design at $200 million
• Nuclear Weapons Activities and Stockpile Stewardship: $7.3 billion
• Non Proliferation: $2.3 billion