Almost all of the trucks are gone from DP Road.
That can only mean one thing.
Los Alamos National Laboratory has completed excavation of its oldest waste disposal site, Material Disposal Area B (MDA-B), located at TA-21.
The cleanup has yielded some interesting finds.
MDA-B consisted of narrow trenches up to 35 feet deep. Though most of the waste excavated from MDA-B was soil and run-of-the-mill trash such as cardboard and protective clothing, items uncovered during excavation included the remains of two mid-1940s pickup trucks, nearly 30 inert artillery shells and a calendar from 1946.
The excavated waste is packaged appropriately and transported to disposal facilities.