.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Today's Features

  • Today
    A talk on “Nuclear Weapons, Past, Present and Future” will be given by LANL weapons programs expert Joseph C. Martz at an open meeting of the Los Alamos Committee on Arms Control and International Security in Graves Hall at the United Church.  The meeting will start at 7 p.m. with brief reports and business followed at 7:30 p.m. by Martz, who was named in 2009 as the inaugural William J. Perry Fellow in International Security at Stanford University’s Center for International Security and Cooperation.
    Wednesday

  • The Santa Fe Opera joins more than 100 opera companies across the country in recognizing National Opera Week.
    Organized by opera’s national service organization, Opera America, community events have been planned to call attention to the role opera companies play in their communities. The week runs from
    Oct. 29-Nov. 6.

  • Don Liska is unquestionably one of the Los Alamos Mountaineers most experienced mountaineers and adventurers.
    He has been a member of the American Alpine Club for many years, and is a lifetime member of the LAM.  Join the LAM Wednesday evening at Fuller Lodge to hear Liska recount stories of his early days of adventure climbing in the Midwest, the Dolomites and the Alps.

  • The golden trees on the Jemez and Sangre de Cristo mountains have inspired the Los Alamos Historical Society to sponsor a fall and summer photo contest. Winners will have their photographs made into greeting cards and added to the Los Alamos Historical Museum archival collection.

  • It is an amazing time when your baby turns one year old and you can see the growth and potential of what is still yet to come.
    Last month, the Cancer Corner at Los Alamos Medical Center celebrated their first birthday, and because the month of October is Cancer Awareness month, they plan to celebrate all month long.
    Bernice Williams, the president of the Los Alamos Council on Cancer and a devoted Cancer Corner supporter, couldn’t be more proud.

  • The Los Alamos Animal Shelter, 226 East Road, 662-8179, has a great selection of on-site adoptable pets; others are in foster care with loving, temporary homes.
    All of our fully reconditioned adoptable pets are spayed or neutered, have their shots and are micro-chipped.
    Be sure to check out links to our many pets at the Friends of the Shelter Web site: www.lafos.org. You can also volunteer or make a donation.  

  • The Los Alamos Piecemakers Quilt Guild is hosting  Cindy Brick, from Castle Rock, Colo. at
    7 p.m.  Oct. 26 at the White Rock Baptist Church.  She will present a lecture titled, “The Incredible Crazy.”  
    Brick is a national lecturer and quilting teacher, quilt restorer, author and an expert on old quilts and quilt history, including crazy quilts. She is an American Quilter’s Society certified textile appraiser, a professional quilt judge and the author of six books, including the “Fabric Dating Kit.”

  • The 13th annual CROP Hunger Walk/Turkey Trot, a 2.57 mile fun walk/run, will be the Sunday before Thanksgiving, at 2 p.m. Nov. 21 at the middle school.
    The CROP Walk donates 25 percent of its funds to LA Cares, which provides food to local families in need. The other 75 percent of funds raised go toward national and international poverty and hunger-reducing programs, to make positive improvements at life-changing levels.

  • The following births were reported at Los Alamos Medical Center:

    Sept. 22: A girl, Jaicee Lynn Michelle Grider, born to Cristie Carter and Jeff Grider

    Oct. 2: A girl, Genevieve Elena Rodriguez, born to Andrea and
    Diego Rodriguez

    Oct. 4: A boy, Elan Gaunt, born to Amy Bartlett and Andrew Gaunt

    Oct. 5: A boy, Jayden Noah Garcia, born to Dolores Medina and Tony Garcia

    Oct. 7: A girl, Aleah Ashlynn Apodaca, born to Miranda Martinez and Dominic Apodaca

  • Lee Powell has been awarded a 2010 National Edward R. Murrow Award for Feature Reporting, given by the Radio Television Digital News Association.
    The Murrow Awards honor excellence in electronic journalism and are among the most prestigious in broadcasting.
    Powell’s winning story was about a multi-million dollar ski slope of fake snow, built by a university in Virginia.
    Ann Curry, news anchor of NBC’s “Today” show, presented the award to Powell during a banquet in New York City.