- Special Sections
- Public Notices
A local family narrowly escaped death when carbon monoxide gas seeped into their home last year. The gas is invisible and odorless but did trigger an alarm, alerting the mother who woke her daughters and rushed them into the fresh night air. The source of that gas was never determined.
Another gas that is a growing concern is Radon, according to the World Health Organization and Environmental Protection Agency. Radon gas is a problem in nearly 20 percent of the homes in the United States and it took the lives of some 20,000 Americans in 2009, according to the agencies. These startling statistics have prompted the agencies to designate Oct. 17-24 as National Radon Awareness Week.
Los Alamos isn’t known for Radon issues but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist here. Fire Marshal Mike Thompson said, “I’m unaware of emergency issues specific to Radon in our area but if people are concerned with the levels in their homes then it would be worth checking into.”
If you currently subscribe or have subscribed in the past to the Los Alamos Monitor, then simply find your account number on your mailing label and enter it below.
Click the question mark below to see where your account ID appears on your mailing label.
If you are new to the award winning Los Alamos Monitor and wish to get a subscription or simply gain access to our online content then please enter your ZIP code below and continue to setup your account.