- Special Sections
- Public Notices
The Los Alamos Hilltopper boys and girls tennis teams will be well-represented at the 2009 state Class AAAA tournament.
The tournament starts Thursday with the individual championship matches. Team play starts Friday and continues through Saturday.
Most of the state action — and all involving the Hilltoppers — will take place at the Jerry Cline Tennis Complex in Albuquerque.
The Hilltopper girls qualified three individuals and two doubles teams into Thursday’s draw, while the Hilltopper boys have a pair of individuals and pair of doubles teams slated to compete in those tournaments.
Originally, the state team and state individual tournaments were set to be played on separate weekends, but due to the stoppage of all athletic competition imposed by the New Mexico Activities Association last week, the NMAA decided to hold both competitions this week. The format being used was scheduled to go into effect following the 2010 regular season.
Los Alamos will send a pair of eighth-grade girls into Thursday’s play. Madeline Margevicius, the District 2AAAA runner-up earned a seventh seed for the tournament, while third-place district finisher Gillian Hsieh-Ratliff will take one eighth-seeded Kayla Olson of Silver.
Grace Kim, Los Alamos’ No. 1 and the top district finisher for 2009, picked up a No. 4 seed for the tournament. Kim, a senior, will face Volcano Vista’s Adrienne Templeton in the first round.
Should Kim make the semifinals Thursday afternoon, she will likely take on top-seeded Lauren Pick of Albuquerque Academy. Pick is going for her third-straight AAAA individual championship this season.
In the boys draw, Los Alamos’ Matt Whicker was seeded fifth for Thursday’s tournament. Whicker topped teammate Ben Havemann in the 2AAAA championship match to earn the title.
Havemann, meanwhile, earned an eighth seed for the tournament.
The top seed in the boys singles draw is Andy Cooper of Albuquerque Academy, a heavy favorite to win his third individual title in five years — Cooper was upset in 2008 by Goddard’s Matt Neeld in the boys AAAA final.
In boys doubles competition, the team of Patrick Raichur/Chase Havemann picked up a No. 2 seed. Raichur/Havemann topped Española Valley’s Ryan Martinez/Sterling McCall in straight sets of the district championship tournament.
The other Hilltopper squad, district third-place finisher Stephen Townsley/Dominic Lucido, is unranked in the draw.
In girls doubles, Los Alamos’ Brenna O’Hara/Sarah Worland earned a six seed and Megan Townsley/Colleen Fitzsimmons have an eight seed. O’Hara/Worland topped Taos’ Erica Dimond/Jessica Christian, the tournament’s seventh seed, in the district championship match, while Townsely/Fitzsimmons finished third in 2AAAA.
Here is the schedule for the opening round of Thursday’s Class AAAA individual singles and doubles competitions.
Players are from Los Alamos unless otherwise indicated.
(1) Lauren Pick, Albuquerque Academy, bye.
Gillian Hsieh-Ratliff vs. (8) Kayla Olson, Silver, 11 a.m.
(4) Grace Kim vs. Adrienne Templeton, Volcano Vista, 10 a.m.
(5) Marie Bachechi, St. Pius X, vs. Samantha Dunn, Roswell, 10 a.m.
(3) Loretta Lawson, Belen, vs. Natalie Kutchera, Santa Teresa, 11 a.m.
(6) MacKenzie Pavlik, Farmington, vs. Ashley Marsh, Deming, 11 a.m.
(2) Hallie Harton, Goddard, vs. Brittany Vallejos, Belen, 11 a.m.
(7) Madeline Margevicius vs. Mary Romero, Roswell, 11 a.m.
(1) Blackwood/Blackwater, Farmington, bye.
(8) Megan Townsley/Colleen Fitzsimmons vs. Vigil/Gomez, Deming, 9 a.m.
(4) Merrion/Merrion, Farmington, vs. Joyce/Joyce, Goddard, 9 a.m.
(5) Martinez/Sanford, Roswell, vs. Hsi/Waye, Academy, 9 a.m.
(3) Orosco/Mathieu, Silver, vs. Loutfy/Berg, St. Pius, 9 a.m.
(6) Brenna O’Hara/Sarah Worland vs. Weir/Carmona, Roswell, 9 a.m.
(2) Gregori/Rhodes, Piedra Vista, vs. Orosco/Peterson, Silver, 9 a.m.
(7) Dimond/Christian, Taos, vs. Freedman/Brown, Academy, 10 a.m.
(1) Andy Cooper, Albuquerque Academy, bye.
(8) Ben Havemann vs. Emanuel Razo, Santa Teresa, 9 a.m.
(4) Ravi Shah, Volcano Vista, vs. Ryan Reeves, Farmington, 9 a.m.
(5) Matt Whicker vs. Dominick Viramontes, Santa Teresa, 9 a.m.
(3) David Grega, Belen, vs. Eric Smith, Goddard, 9 a.m.
(6) Mitch Clarke, Piedra Vista, vs. Juan Rodriguez, Deming, 9 a.m.
(2) Jeff Adolf, Academy, vs, Carter Shuman, Artesia, 9 a.m.
(7) Bobby Neeld, Goddard, vs. RJ Adams, Capital, 9 a.m.
(1) Cooper/Pachelli, Academy, bye.
(8) Tolar/Holguin, Silver, vs. Black/Allen, Grants, 10 a.m.
(4) Roach/Barkoff, St. Pius X, vs. Martinez/McCall, Española Valley, 10 a.m.
(5) Bickel/Larivee, Farmington, vs. Romero/Obeso, Roswell, 10 a.m.
(3) Ashworth/Pavlik, Farmington, vs. Boggs/Marcak, Deming, 10 a.m.
(6) Zumwalt/Lesansee, Academy, vs. Stephen Townsley/Dominic Lucido, 10 a.m.
(2) Patrick Raichur/Chase Havemann vs. Tilton/Mitchell, Artesia, 10 a.m.
(7) Ganjawala/Gass, Goddard, vs. Shelley/Quintero, Silver, 10 a.m.
Cooper/Pachelli vs. Tolar/Holguin-Black/Allen winner, 1 p.m.
Roach/Barkoff-Martinez/McCall winner vs. Bickel/Larivee-Romero/Obeso winner, 10 a.m.
Ashworth/Pavlik-Boggs/Marack winner vs. Zumwalt/Lesansee-Townsley/Lucido winner, 10 a.m.
Raichur/Havemann-Tilton/Mitchell winner vs. Ganjawala/Gass-Shelley/Quintero winner, 10 a.m.