- Special Sections
- Public Notices
With little to gain other than picking up a few extra state championship meet qualifying times, the Los Alamos Hiltopper swimming and diving teams sent a scant few up to Farmington Saturday.
Saturday’s meet, the District 1 championship meet, was in the eyes of the Hilltopper coaching staff little more than a glorified end-of-season meet.
Because Los Alamos’ boys and girls teams are gearing up this week for the state meet, which starts Friday and goes through Saturday, Los Alamos sent just six girls and four boys to the event — just those still needing to qualify for state.
Unfortunately, Los Alamos wasn’t able to pick up any more cut times Saturday, although Adam Izraelevitz missed out in the 100-yard freestyle by just a little more than a second.
Both Los Alamos teams finished sixth at the district meet. Had Los Alamos sent its heavy hitters, it would’ve been considered among the favorites on both sides.
Farmington won the boys district team championship Saturday, while St. Michael’s was the district championship on the girls side.
But because swimming doesn’t allow for qualifying district placers unless they pick up the regular state cut time, there was little incentive for the Hilltoppers to go to the meet at full strength.
Izraelevitz had the top finish of the day for Los Alamos’ swimmers, placing second in the 100 freestyle. Izraelevitz also took fourth place in the 50 freestyle.
For the Hilltopper girls, Taylor Montoya had a pair of sixth-place finishes (50 freestyle, 100 freestyle), while Elizabeth Brug was sixth in the 100 butterfly and Christina Dey was sixth in the 100 breaststroke.
Los Alamos’ divers, meanwhile, came up big at the district meet. Lisa Ann Hendricks finished second overall with a score of 190.70, while teammate Emily TenCate finished right behind her in third place with a 146.70.
The state swimming meet will be held at Albuquerque Academy. Preliminary heats are scheduled to start at 4:30 p.m. Friday.
Meanwhile, the state diving preliminaries will be held at the West Mesa Aquatic Center Friday, with the girls prelims scheduled for 3:30 p.m. The finals will be held at Academy Saturday.
Here are Los Alamos’ individual results from Saturday’s District 1 championship meet held in Farmington.
200 medley relay
8. Los Alamos (Jessie Zhao, Elizabeth Brug, Christina Dey, Catherine Crotzer), 2:34.79.
6. Taylor Montoya, 28.84.
1 meter diving
2. Lisa Ann Hendricks, 190.70; 3. Emily TenCate, 146.70.
6. Elizabeth Brug, 1:25.77.
6. Taylor Montoya, 1:01.20; 10. Christina Dey, 1:04.71; 19. Jessie Zhao, 1:14.36.
9. Catherine Crotzer, 7:43.24.
200 freestyle relay
5. Los Alamos (Taylor Montoya, Christina Dey, Jessie Zhao, Elizabeth Brug), 2:02.09.
10. Elizabeth Brug, 1:15.94; 15. Catherine Crotzer, 1:34.36.
6. Christina Dey, 1:26.91; 12. Jessie Zhao, 1:33.55.
200 medley relay
6. Los Alamos (Lorenzo Venneri, Rohun Iyer, Andy Zhao, Adam Izraelevitz), 2:07.11.
4. Adam Izraelevitz, 25.12; 7. Andy Zhao, 25.83; 20. Lorenzo Venneri, 29.45.
2. Adam Izraelevitz, 53.78; 18. Lorenzo Venneri, 1:04.99; 28. Rohun Iyer, 1:14.46.
10. Rohun Iyer, 1:24.68.
5. Andy Zhao, 1:11.39.