- Special Sections
- Public Notices
The Los Alamos Council on Cancer will host a pancreatic cancer seminar. Speakers Katherine Morris, MD, FACS and Lori Ballinger, MS CGC will be on hand to answer questions or concerns about the disease with a very low survival rate.
The seminar begins with a light meal at 5:15 p.m. Nov. 7 at the First Baptist Church, 2200 Diamond Drive. The Q and A session will begin at 6 p.m.
Morris is an assistant professor at the division of surgical oncology at the University Of New Mexico School Of Medicine. Ballinger is a senior genetic counselor and lecturer for the UNM Cancer Center and Hereditary Cancer Assessment Program.
The seminar will cover the following topics concerning pancreatic cancer:
• Pancreatic cancer incidence and mortality in New Mexico
• Genetic and non-genetic risk factors for developing pancreatic cancer
• Pancreatic cancer genetic syndromes and genetic testing
• Modifiable risk factors that reduce the risk of pancreatic cancer
• Review of current screening strategies and ongoing clinical trials
• Pathology in pancreatic cancer and risk of recurrence
• Treatment strategies — the pros and cons
The program is free; however pre-registration is required by Nov. 4. Call the Los Alamos Cooperative Extension Service at 662-2656 or register online at LosAlamosCouncilOnCancer.org.