- Special Sections
- Public Notices
The Los Alamos Hilltopper boys track and field team took second for the second straight week to open the season Saturday.
Running at their second Albuquerque Public Schools Invitational meets in as many weeks, the Hilltoppers finished with 102 team points. They finished second in team competition behind a powerful Cibola squad which demolished the competition at the 2007 Class AAAAA state championship meet.
Cibola finished with 160 team points, more than Los Alamos and La Cueva put together at Saturday’s meet at Milne Stadium.
For an early season meet, things couldn’t have gone a lot better for Los Alamos.
“Great day,” Los Alamos head coach Larry Baca said. “We found out some things that we didn’t know we had.”
Baca said he was impressed with the performance of Oliver Funsten in the shot put. Funsten, just joining the team after the hockey season, was a surprise fifth-place finish, tossing 41 feet, 11 inches.
In all, Los Alamos won seven events and picked up state qualifying marks in two relay events, the 800 meters and 1600-meter medley. Los Alamos has now pushed all of its relay teams into the state Class AAAA meet just two weeks in.
Andrew Vierra won and picked up a state qualifying mark in the 3200 meters, pulling away in the second mile to win the event. His time of 10:00.31 was a lifetime best.
In the 800 meters, Gareth Gilna won with an impressive time of 1:58.56 and punched his ticket to state in that event.
In the short distances, Jason Reagor and Raul Rodriguez duked it out for first and second places, with Rodriguez winning the 100 and Reagor the 200, both picking up qualifying marks in each event.
Los Alamos is the defending Class AAAA team champion and in the early going appears that it may have a shot at a repeat performance.
“Right now, we’re OK,” Baca said. “We’ve got a lot of areas to improve on. We’re so close in a lot of events. It’s still early and we haven’t put everybody in all the events we’ve wanted to.”
Here are Los Alamos’ results from Saturday’s Albuquerque Public Schools Invitational meet:
1. Cibola, 160; 2. Los Alamos, 102; 3. La Cueva, 48; 4. Del Norte, 20; 5. Santa Fe, 14; 6. Rio Grande, 10.
5. Oliver Funsten, 41-11; Isaac Schilling, 39-4; Shaun Parkinson, 36-4 ½.
5. Isaac Schilling, 105-9; Shaun Parkinson, 103-0; Oliver Funsten, 99-4.
Garrett Idler, 128-6; Jamie Wigger, 117-0; David Brock, 108-5.
1. Benigno Sandoval, 12-9; 5. Chris Ussery, 10-9.
4. Brett Hill, 5-8; 5. Garrett Idler, 5-8.
1. David Bjorklund, 19-1 ¾; 4. Dion Obermeyer, 18-1/4; Jamie Wigger, 15-8.
5. Dion Obermeyer, 38-2; Daniel Christensen, 35-1/4.
1. Raul Rodriguez, 10.78; 2. Jason Reagor, 10.79.
1. Jason Reagor, 22.21; 2. Raul Rodriguez, 22.40.
Dion Obermeyer, 18.66; Ethan Clayton, 20.29.
3. Ethan Clayton, 47.09.
Brett Hill, 54.99; Tom Day, 55.45.
1. Gareth Gilna, 1:58.56; 4. Nat Gustafson, 2:11.97.
1. Kyle Pittman, 4:33.74; 3. Kevin Hemphill, 4:38.45; Nat Gustafson, 4:48.98.
1. Andrew Vierra, 10:00.31; 5. Austin Jacobson, 10:36.69.
3. Los Alamos (David Brock, David Bjorklund, Benigno Sandoval, Jason Reagor), 44.57.
2. Los Alamos (Gavin Kierstead, Raul Rodriguez, Benigno Sandoval, Jason Reagor) 1:30.27.
1600 medley relay
2. Los Alamos (David Brock, Benigno Sandoval, Corey Clark, Kyle Pittman), 3:40.93.
2. Los Alamos (Benigno Sandoval, Kevin Hemphill, Gareth Gilna, Raul Rodriguez), 3:35.62.