- Special Sections
- Public Notices
Millions of Americans will be preparing meals and traveling throughout the Thanksgiving holiday weekend. The American Red Cross has safety tips for the kitchen and for the highway.
Cooking is the leading cause of home fires and related injuries. Follow these safety tips:
• Keep children and pets at least three feet away from the cooking area.
• Clean all cooking surfaces to prevent grease buildup.
• Stay in the kitchen while frying, grilling or broiling food. Turn burners off if leaving the kitchen.
• Keep a pan lid or baking sheet nearby. Use it to cover the pan if it catches on fire.
• Place turkey fryers outside and away from the house, deck and garage.
• Vehicles should be in good working order before heading out. Remember to:
• Pack emergency supplies like blankets, water and snacks, flashlight and first aid kit.
• Fill the fuel tank, check air pressure in tires and top-off windshield fluid.
• Buckle up and obey all traffic signs.
• Avoid distractions while driving like using mobile phones to talk or text.
• Designate a driver who won’t be drinking whenever alcohol is served.
If you currently subscribe or have subscribed in the past to the Los Alamos Monitor, then simply find your account number on your mailing label and enter it below.
Click the question mark below to see where your account ID appears on your mailing label.
If you are new to the award winning Los Alamos Monitor and wish to get a subscription or simply gain access to our online content then please enter your ZIP code below and continue to setup your account.