- Special Sections
- Public Notices
While people are finalizing plans for holiday events and travel, the American Red Cross in New Mexico has tips to help prevent accidents and emergencies.
“Following a few simple tips can help make the holiday season safe and enjoyable,” said American Red Cross in New Mexico CEO Rahim Balsara.
Holiday decorations and parties
• Place Christmas trees at least three feet away from any heat sources and exits. Water the tree daily.
• Don’t overload electrical outlets and unplug holiday lights before leaving home or going to bed.
• Keep candles away from combustible materials and in a place where children and pets can’t get to them.
• Pick a designated driver when attending a party and provide non-alcoholic beverage options if hosting a party.
• Keep children and pets away from the stove; turn pot handles in; and turn off burners if leaving the kitchen.
• Make sure vehicles are in good working order before holiday trips. This includes checking tire air pressure and windshield fluid, and cleaning lights and windows.
• Equip vehicles with an emergency preparedness kit with water, snacks, flashlight, first aid kit and blankets.
• Check weather and road conditions before traveling.
If you currently subscribe or have subscribed in the past to the Los Alamos Monitor, then simply find your account number on your mailing label and enter it below.
Click the question mark below to see where your account ID appears on your mailing label.
If you are new to the award winning Los Alamos Monitor and wish to get a subscription or simply gain access to our online content then please enter your ZIP code below and continue to setup your account.