- Special Sections
- Public Notices
The possibility of raising taxes is also likely to be a controversial issue. The agenda documentation for Tuesday's council session includes a comparison of the Los Alamos County’s taxes with the rest of the state.
The comparison shows that the county’s rates are considerably below average. The summary includes:
• Los Alamos ranks 23rd lowest GRT rate of the 33 counties. (7.3125 percent — this is .2519 percent or more than a ¼ cent less than the average of 7.5644 percent)
• Los Alamos has the lowest (ranked 33rd) imposed Property Tax rate of all 33 counties. (10.598 mils; next lowest is 2.477 mils higher at 13.075 mils; Los Alamos is 5.515 or 34 percent below the average of 16.1133 mils)
• Los Alamos ranks 32nd and 33rd lowest for residential and non-residential, respectively, levied mil rates.
• If adjusted by adding two mils of property tax, Los Alamos would still have the lowest imposed Property Tax rate.
• If adjusted by adding a new 1/16th cent GRT increment, Los Alamos would rank 22nd lowest GRT rate.
Find more on this and other agenda documentation at losalamosnm.us.