- Special Sections
- Public Notices
Otowi Station Bookstore and Science Museum Shop closed its doors a few days ago having served Los Alamos/White Rock residents and visitors for almost 20 years. Before that, its parent store, Ojo de Dios Bookstore, served our community many more years.
Bart and I purchased Ojo de Dios in 1990 from Harold Burnett and expanded it to our brand new Otowi Station site in 1993.
We owned Otowi until late 2005, when Peggy Durbin and Michele Vochosky took over — encountering a very rough business climate.
The store is enveloped in memory. For Bart and me in particular:
• Wonderful employees — full time, part time, student — who gave time, energy, and support. (You will always be family.)
• The old-fashioned courtesy of most of our customers.
• A smiling Danny Doss bustling in to sign extra copies of his Charlie Moon mysteries.
• The midnight theme music, outside night lighting, and around the corner customer line of a new Harry Potter book sale.
• Christmas Eve, when we kept the store open as long as shoppers (usually men) showed up for last minute emergency purchases.
• Two giggling little girls copying cookie recipes on a Sunday morning.
If you currently subscribe or have subscribed in the past to the Los Alamos Monitor, then simply find your account number on your mailing label and enter it below.
Click the question mark below to see where your account ID appears on your mailing label.
If you are new to the award winning Los Alamos Monitor and wish to get a subscription or simply gain access to our online content then please enter your ZIP code below and continue to setup your account.