- Special Sections
- Public Notices
The holiday season can be a hectic time of year. Buying gifts, cooking and decorating are just a few of the activities that we are busy with right now.
But soon children will be out of school for winter recess, it’s also an important time to be mindful of safety.
Here are a few simple tips to keep the holidays merry and safe:
• Place your tree or menorah away from fireplaces, radiators or portable heaters.
• In homes with infants and young children, avoid decorations that are sharp or breakable and do not hang trimmings that resemble candy or food that might tempt a young child to eat them.
• Place space heaters, candles and other heat sources at least three feet away from all flammable material such as bedding, furniture and drapes.
• The Window Covering Safety Council is urging parents to only use cordless window products homes with young children. According to information provided by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, since 1990, more than 200 infants and young children have died from accidentally strangling in window cords. Replace older window coverings with today’s safer, cordless products.
• Have your chimney inspected annually and cleaned if necessary.
If you currently subscribe or have subscribed in the past to the Los Alamos Monitor, then simply find your account number on your mailing label and enter it below.
Click the question mark below to see where your account ID appears on your mailing label.
If you are new to the award winning Los Alamos Monitor and wish to get a subscription or simply gain access to our online content then please enter your ZIP code below and continue to setup your account.