- Special Sections
- Public Notices
Hunger doesn’t sleep or come to a stand still. It continually gnarls inside people’s stomachs and clings to their minds.
As a result, National Association of Letter Carriers Branch 4112, LA Cares, LA Community Food Bank and the Northern New Mexico District of the Boy Scouts of America are working to respond to this condition and wipe hunger away.
The annual Spring Community Food Drive is scheduled for Saturday. LA Cares will distribute donations.
To contribute, non-perishable food and other supplies can be left near mailboxes early Saturday for carriers to pick up.
Additionally, Cub Scouts will collect donations at Smith’s Food and Drug in Los Alamos and White Rock Saturday.
Volunteers will receive, sort and store food at both the Knights of Columbus Hall on DP Road and at the White Rock Postal Yard.
Suggested items for donation • 100 percent fruit juice • canned vegetables • dehydrated potatoes,
• canned meats (tuna, chicken)
• low-sugar fruit • low-sugar cereals
• spaghetti sauce/noodles and other pasta
• macaroni and cheese • hearty style soups • tomato products
• sugar, flour and cooking oil
• jelly/jams and peanut butter
• healthy school lunch items (juices, granola bars, snack crackers and dried fruit)
• beans (baked, refried, dry)
• rice, powdered and canned milk
• regular coffee (ground and instant)
• tea (regular, herb) • salad dressings • mayonnaise
• diapers (especially sizes 5 and 6)
• baby wipes
• paper towels • toilet paper • laundry detergent • personal care products (soap, shampoo, deodorant, razors, shaving cream, tooth brushes and tooth paste).