- Special Sections
- Public Notices
Starting Feb. 24, Our Lady of the Woods, a Wiccan coven serving Los Alamos, Santa Fe, Española and Northern New Mexico, will offer a six-week Wicca 101 course in Los Alamos. The six two-hour classes will be from 7-9 p.m. Thursday evenings at the Los Alamos Unitarian Church.
The course is open to anyone interested in learning more about Wicca and paganism in general. No registration is required and the course is free, although donations will be accepted.
• The Goddess of a Thousand Names, 7 p.m. Feb. 24. The story of the goddess in ancient times and the present, told with fascinating images of goddesses and gods from many cultures.
• History/Herstory, 7 p.m. March 3. An overview of pagan and witchcraft history presented in story, song and short dramatic skits. Participants will learn the difference between myth, legend and history and what role witches and pagans have played in making history throughout the ages.
• Wheel of the Year, 7 p.m. March 10. The moon and sun cycles tell the stories of the goddess and the god and also trace the Wiccan year of sabbats: Yule, Imbolc, Ostara. Beltane, Litha, Lammas, Mabon and Samhain. An opportunity to experience the themes of all eight sabbats in one evening.
• Ethics and Magick, 7 p.m. March 17. Presenters will discuss the Wiccan Rede, Rule of Three and other ethical guidelines followed by most pagans and witches. These are the foundation of ethical and magical practice and living.
• Wiccan Cosmology and Theology, 7 p.m. March 24. How do Wiccans view the universe? This class presents the Wiccan world view, paying particular attention to the inner connection with all creation and sacredness of life. Other beliefs, such as reincarnation, who the deities are and more will be discussed.
• Living Pagan, 7 p.m. March 31. What does it mean to live as a pagan? Is it more than proclaiming you are in sync with the natural rhythms of the year? A panel will also talk about their own personal practices. They will discuss what it is like to belong to a pagan or Wiccan group and talk about the many flavors of groups available.
For more information about the class, Our Lady of the Woods, or Wicca, contact Rowan or Falco at 672-1278.