- Special Sections
- Public Notices
Fire officials said it all started when duplex owner Maria Mojica heard a “popping sound” downstairs.
“She went down to investigate and she saw smoke and flames coming from the side of the dishwasher,” said Los Alamos Fire Department Capt. Jason Lopez.
Los Alamos Fire Department crews were dispatched around 1 p.m. Friday to respond to a call in the 3000 block of Orange Street.
“We made entry into the house at about 1:12 p.m.,” said Battalion Chief Justin Cassel.
No one was hurt during the fire, though the kitchen sustained heavy fire damage. The entire house also received a lot of smoke damage.
“The whole house was full of smoke when we arrived and flames were rolling out of the kitchen by the time we made entry,” Lopez said.
Deputy Chief Justin Grider said the situation was under control by 1:20 p.m.
Grider said the heavy smoke affected two families and the homeowner was the one who made the 911 call. Mojica was outside the duplex when fire crews arrived on the scene, and no one was injured in the fire.
Lopez said electrical fires are pretty rare.
“Usually what we see around this time of year is chimney fires,” Lopez said. “People sometimes do not maintain them properly by keeping them clean of build up from years of use.” F