- Special Sections
- Public Notices
The Los Alamos Hilltopper girls track and field team got an immediate lift from its returning basketball athletes Friday.
Los Alamos had another big showing at Friday’s Albuquerque Public Schools Invitational. Los Alamos finished second behind Class 5A contender Rio Rancho at Friday’s meet, scoring 100.5 points. No other team besides Rio Rancho finished with more than 61.
Coming straight back following the conclusion of the girls basketball season, reigning Class AAAA 100 meter champion Chase Ealey won that same event, finishing in 12.24 seconds, well underneath the state championship qualifying mark and even going under the Class AAAA state record for the event — state records, by New Mexico Activities Association bylaws, can only officially be set at the state championship meet.
For good measure, Ealey also won the shot put competition with her state meet qualifying throw of 39 feet, 4-1/2 inches, just a little more than a foot off the AAAA state record.
Another returner, Lindsay Benage, is the current AAAA state champion in the high jump. Friday, she finished third in her first field outing, clearing 4 feet, 8 inches. Benage finished behind teammate Laura Wendelberger, who cleared 5-0 for the third straight week.
“Getting the basketball girls back helps,” Hilltopper head coach Paul Anderson said. “That fills a lot of gaps.”
Ealey also helped the 400 relay team become the first Hilltopper relay team to qualify for state, which it did with a top finish Friday.
The 400 relay team won in a season-best time of 50.75.
“We had a freshman, a sophomore, a junior and a senior,” Anderson said of his qualifying relay squad. “I don’t know what it’s going to turn into yet, but the pieces are coming together.”
Los Alamos won a total of seven events at APS. Emily Weeks won a pair of events and was also part of the winning 400 and 800 relay teams, while Victoria Trujillo won the 800, missing out on a state qualifying mark by just over a quarter of a second.
Here are Los Alamos’ results from Friday’s Albuquerque Public Schools Invitational:
1. Rio Rancho, 125.5; 2. Los Alamos, 100.5; 3. Volcano Vista, 61.5; 4. Albuquerque Academy, 46; 5. Eldorado, 44; 6. Valley, 19; 7. Sandia, 18.5; 8. West Mesa, 15; 9. Rio Grande, 3; 10. Capital, no score.
1. Los Alamos (Emily Weeks, Morgan Schake, Sylvia Holland, Chase Ealey), 50.75.
3. Laura Wendelberger, 17.54.
1. Chase Ealey, 12.24; Morgan Schake, 13.66.
3. Holly Walker, 5:32.46; Shaina Riciputi, 5:53.62; Teresa Sandoval, 5:58.21.
1. Los Alamos (Emily Weeks, Morgan Schake, Sylvia Holland, Madison Ahlers), 1:50.23.
2. Victoria Honnell, 1:03.44; Anna Scott, 1:09.61.
3. Laura Wendelberger, 54.10.
1. Victoria Trujillo, 2:26.26; Rebecca Martineau, 2:45.72; Kim Boerigter, 2:47.28.
1600 medley relay
6. Los Alamos (Morgan Schake, Laura Wendelberger, Anna Scott, Shaina Riciputi), 4:59.17.
1. Emily Weeks, 26.78.
2. Victoria Honnell, 12:30.89; 4. Elizabeth Brug, 12:32.27; 5. Emily Pittman, 12:32.68.
5. Los Alamos (Laura Wendelberger, Shaina Riciputi, Holly Walker, Madison Ahlers), 4:29.46.
1. Chase Ealey, 39-4 1/2; Shelby Keffler, 26-2; Molly Willms, 26-2.
2. Molly Willms, 87-0; 5. Shelby Keffler, 77-11.
6. Molly Willms, 87-10; Shelby Keffler, 72-4.
6. Allison Rooney, 26-11; Shelby Keffler, 26-3.
1. Emily Weeks, 15-6 1/2.
6. Allie Glasco, 7-0.
2. Laura Wendelberger, 5-0; Lindsay Benage, 4-8; Allison Rooney, 4-6.