- Special Sections
- Public Notices
Both accused child rapist Stephen Geisik and alleged child abuser Tyrell Abney both pled not guilty in their first appearance in District Court Wednesday.
Geisik, 21, is charged with five counts of criminal sexual penetration of a minor under age 13 — a first-degree felony; and two counts of contributing the delinquency of a minor — a fourth-degree felony.
Abney, 20, is charged with child abuse resulting in great bodily harm – a first-degree felony.
Both cases were bound over from Los Alamos Magistrate Court to District Court earlier this month.
Both defendants waived hearing the indictments against them.
Charges against Geisik stem from several incidents this year in which he was allegedly sexually involved with a 12-year-old girl.
Assistant District Attorney Kent Wahlquist said Geisik — who is represented by public defender Joachim Marjon – that while he was not aware of any current violations of his conditions of release — the victim’s family believes there is a “very real fear for the community in general” and that those conditions may become more severe should a violation occur.
According to his conditions of release, Geisik is supposed to be home by 8 p.m. and not have contact with anyone under the age of 18, except for his infant son.
Heard next was Abney’s case.
Wahlquist said Abney’s three-month old son — who is currently in the custody of Children, Youth, and Families Department was in stable condition, but had been prescribed anti-seizure medication and had hearing and sight problems as a result of injuries. He also said the child was in serious danger of dying, which could increase the severity of the case.
Court documents state that Abney — who was left alone with the baby while his fiancé ran errands — said he dropped the child but later admitted to Los Alamos Police officers that he also had hit the child.
Wahlquist said the extent of the baby’s brain injuries are unknown at this time and won’t begin to surface until later in life.
Abney’s private attorney Thomas Clark said Abney has been given the opportunity to visit the baby at CYFD as part of his treatment.
During a preliminary hearing before Judge Pat Casados on June 6, Abney’s bail was reduced to $50,000 cash or surety bond. He posted bond last week and was released.
Conditions of his release included reporting daily to the adult probation officer, maintaining contact with his attorney, not consuming alcohol or drugs or entering an establishment that serves alcohol, and having no contact with the victim.
Casados also ordered Abney to not discuss the case with anyone.