- Special Sections
- Public Notices
Plummeting temperatures Friday evening caused a sprinkler head in the fire suppression system at the Reel Deal Theater to burst, sending water cascading into the lobby.“It all happened around 6:50 p.m., just as the movies were ending,” said Jim O’Donnell, whose family owns the movie theater.“We shut off the water main to the building, but water kept pouring out of the sprinkler head. When we shut off the sprinkler system, it triggered the fire alarm, but luckily that happened just as the movies were ending, so people got to see the end of their movies. “We dumped hundreds of gallons of water into the lobby,” O’Donnell said. “The fire department was awesome, they came in with giant squeegees and just squeezed all the water out. I called Mike Maes (A-Maes-ing Carpets), who was home sick, and he got out of bed and brought two giant vacuum trucks and cleaned up the rest of the water.” The theater re-opened for the 9 p.m. showings.“It’s lucky it happened while we were open, and not at 1 a.m.,” O’Donnell said. “We would have had a lot more damage, and might have been closed for the whole holiday season.” He added that the response from Fire Protection Services of White Rock, the quick response of the fire department and the dedication shown by Maes, getting out of his sick bed to help with the cleanup were all instrumental in helping the theater to survive the incident with only one showing canceled.“It’s amazing how the whole community came together,” O’Donnell said.