- Special Sections
- Public Notices
The mouth-watering aroma of supper simmering on the stove turned acrid when a forgotten pot began to smolder and nearly burst into flames Friday in an apartment on 11th Street.Los Alamos Fire Marshall Michael Thompson described the sequence of events that lead to near disaster for the apartment owner and surrounding neighbors at about 3:30 p.m. Friday.“He put the food in the pot to start cooking and went to another part of the apartment,” Thompson said. “After a while, he remembered something at work and left the apartment through a door that was away from the kitchen. The water eventually evaporated in the pot and the food began to burn.”Luckily, a neighbor smelled smoke in the hallway of the apartment building and called it in, Thompson said.Los Alamos police opened the apartment door to the vacant apartment and firefighters removed the smoldering pan and ventilated the space. “Fortunately, it was caught in time,” Thompson said.Fires from cooking mishaps are the most common household fires and the leading cause of home fire injuries in the United States, according to the U.S. Fire Administration. More than 100,000 fires start in kitchens each year in the United States, killing hundreds of people and injuring thousands more.
If you currently subscribe or have subscribed in the past to the Los Alamos Monitor, then simply find your account number on your mailing label and enter it below.
Click the question mark below to see where your account ID appears on your mailing label.
If you are new to the award winning Los Alamos Monitor and wish to get a subscription or simply gain access to our online content then please enter your ZIP code below and continue to setup your account.