- Special Sections
- Public Notices
A fire erupted in the kitchen at Hill Diner Monday evening. Manager Leanne Nichols knew that crewmembers from Fire Station 6 were eating in the restaurant at the time and rushed to their table for help as the fire grew out of control.
“She realized that our kitchen fire extinguisher wasn’t stopping the fire and remembered that we had firefighters eating in the dining room,” owner Denise Lane said during an interview at the restaurant this morning.
Lane credits the fast action of the firefighters with saving Hill Diner from becoming a total loss from the fire she said started in the massive stove.
“They immediately took over and had everyone evacuate from the restaurant and kept the fire from reaching into the attic where it would have spread rapidly throughout the building,” she said.
Los Alamos Fire Department and county officials gathered with Lane at the diner this morning. Architect Steven G. Shaw already has designed a fireproof wall for Lane that will run behind the stove and up through the attic to the bottom of the roof deck, dividing the kitchen from the dining room.
“I’ve run the idea passed the fire marshal, the fire chief, the building official and the building inspector and they’re all good with it,” Shaw said.
Click the question mark below to see where your account ID appears on your mailing label.