- Special Sections
- Public Notices
In one month, more than 50,000 votes were cast at santafe.org in The Green Chile Cheeseburger Smackdown. The contest is sponsored by the Santa Fe Convention and Visitors Bureau in partnership with the Santa Fe Farmer’s Market and the Santa Fe Restaurant Association.
The finalists are:
• Terra Restaurant at the Four Seasons Resort Rancho Encantado
• Luminaria Restaurant and Patio at Inn & Spa at Loretto
• Bert’s Burger Bowl
• Cowgirl BBQ
• Agave Lounge at Eldorado Hotel & Spa
As the finalists start honing their burgers for the final, there is a twist to the competition. KOB-FM Morning Mayhem show host Carlos Duran will lead two live, green chile cheeseburger crawls to taste the 12 burgers that did not get nominated and choose a “Lucky No. 7” finalist to compete in the Sept. 7 Green Chile Cheeseburger cook off. The crawl will be carried live on KOB 93.3 from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., Aug. 13 and 5-8 p.m., Aug. 16. The Lucky No. 7 winner will be announced on Duran’s morning show on August 26.
The seven finalists will be judged at the Santa Fe Railyard during the Santa Fe Farmer’s Market Green Chile Harvest Festival. The judges will be:
• Cheryl Jamison, Tesuque resident, James Beard Award winner, well-known cookbook author and one of the country’s foremost authorities on barbecue, grilling, and smoke cooking.
• Michael Bauer, long-time food critic for the San Francisco Chronicle.
• Cathy Barber, food, travel and lifestyle editor for the Dallas Morning News.
• Kate Krader, Restaurant Editor for Food and Wine magazine.
• Ellise Pierce, investigative journalist, new Santa Fe resident, Cowgirlchef blogger and lifelong cook.
• Ginny Sohn, Publisher of the Santa Fe New Mexican.
The cook-off will take place on the North end of the Railyard along Market Street at Manhattan Avenue starting at 10:30 a.m. on Sept. 7.
For information call Steve Lewis at 473-9002.