- Special Sections
- Public Notices
Cross country runner Kyle Pittman once again came up big on a big stage Saturday.
Pittman, a local running star, finished fourth in the southwest regional of the Nike Cross Nationals Saturday. The NXN regional event was held in Tempe, Ariz.
Pittman, just two weeks removed from his second Class AAAA state individual championship, took fourth in the boys championship race Saturday. He finished with a time of 15 minutes, 24.8 seconds to give him the fourth-place finish.
The top-five finish by Pittman paced the Los Alamos XC Club — which was comprised of Los Alamos High School cross country team members but per high school rules cannot be associated with the school officially. Los Alamos had an eighth-place finish in the boys championship team standings with its score of 307.
Los Alamos also entered a girls team into the NXN championship race. That team, also comprised of LAHS runners, took 14th overall in Saturday’s team competition.
Los Alamos XC girls were led by Holly Walker, who finished 60th overall in the girls championship individual competition. She was followed by Jennifer Mooday, a freshman, in 76th place.
In Saturday’s boys and girls open races, Los Alamos had three team entries. Los Alamos’ boys A team finished in 15th place, with the B team following in 27th place. Los Alamos’ girls in the open race took eighth place.
In the boys championship race, Pittman finished only about half a second behind regional runner-up Billy Orman and two-tenths of second behind third-place finisher Sherod Hardt.
It was Pittman’s second-straight, top-5 finish at NXN regionals. In the 2008 regional meet, also held in Tempe, Pittman finished fifth overall.
Pittman’s finish will advance him to the NXN finals, which will be held next month in Portland, Ore.
Joining Pittman in Portland will be a few familiar faces. Members of ABQ XC, from Albuquerque Academy, finished as the regional runner-up, losing a sixth-runner tiebreaker to a team from American Fork, Utah. Both teams finished with a score of 74 Saturday.
Just behind Pittman individually was Cibola High School’s Vincent Montoya, one of only three runners to beat Pittman in the state of New Mexico this season.
In the girls championship race, Los Alamos finished with 362 points. Fort Collins, Colo., won the regional team title with 72 points.
Walker ran a 19:55 Saturday, the only member of the team to come in under the 20-minute mark.
Albuquerque Academy’s Julia Fosters finished third individually in the girls championship race. Foster won the AAAA state individual title in 2009.
Victoria Trujillo was the top finisher from Los Alamos in the girls open race, while Nick Hill finished first among the Los Alamos A team in the boys open race. Kris Stimmel was the top finisher on the Los Alamos B team.
Here are the results from Saturday’s Nike Cross Nationals southwest regional race held in Tempe, Ariz.
1. Fort Collins XC Club, 72; 2. Titans XC, 83; 3. Mountain View Bruin Club, 120; 4. Park City XC, 151; 5. Gtd, 161; 6. Charger Running Club, 235; 7. Caveman XC 248; 8. Davis XC Club, 274; 9. Highlands Ranch, 275; 10. Albuquerque Eagles, 317; 11. Eagles XC Club, 326; 12. Pioneer RC, 355; 13. Evergreen Cougars, 357; 14. Los Alamos XC, 362.
1. Eleanor Fulton, Highlands Ranch XC, 17:45; 2. Kaitlin Hanenburg, Titans XC, 17:51; 3. Julia Foster, Charger Running Club, 17:52; 4. Jessica Tonn, GTD, 18:15; 5. Rachel Vieger, Fort Collins XC, 18:18;
60. Holly Walker, 19:55; 76. Jennifer Mooday, 20:10; 102. Emily Pittman, 20:40; 123. Victoria Honnell, 21:02; 134. Megan Reader, 21:09; 154. Sylvia Holland, 21:44; 170. Angie Hammer, 22:13.
1. Caveman XC, 74 (won tiebreaker); 2. ABQ XC, 74; 3. Mountain View Bruin Club, 170; 4. Davis XC, 216; 5. Alpha T-Wolves, 224; 6. Foothills TC, 248; 7. Cibola of Albuquerque, 248; 8. Los Alamos XC, 307.
1. Wade Meddles, Falcon XC, 15:08; 2. Billy Orman, Team Tuba, 15:24.3; 3. Sherod Hardt, Queen Creek XC, 15:24.6; 4. Kyle Pittman, 15:24.8; 5. Vincent Montoya, Cibola of Albuquerque, 15:28;
93. Daniel Roybal, 16:58; 97. Josh Bowman, 17:02; 114. Ian Pulliam, 17:17; 117. Zach Breshears, 17:20; 151. Tim Wermer, 17:33; 158. Sean Reardon, 17:39.
1. Vista National XC, 40; 2. Dakota Ridge XC, 68; 3. Rocky Mountain XC, 101;
8. Los Alamos, 173.
48. Victoria Trujillo, 21:24; 57. Janali Gustafson, 21:34; 59. Eliana Riciputi, 21:38; 71. Grace Liu, 22:00; 108. Meghan Montoya, 22:50; 124. Angelica Johnson, 23:10; 138 Katie Bowman, 24:08; 139. Rosa Durrer, 24:08.
1. Mingus TC, 1:25.47; 2. Loveland XC, 139; 3. Davis XC, 141;
15. Los Alamos A, 399; 27. Los Alamos B, 717.
64. Nick Hill, 17:51; 85. Jason Bossart, 18:01; 89. Adam Lang, 18:04; 117. Misha Skurikhin, 18:26; 149. Chris Goen, 18:55; 170. Zak Kennison, 19:13; 173. Kris Stimmel, 19:15; 192. Marcus Gutierrez, 19:30; 219. Erik Edelman, 20:06; 244. Noah Simpson, 20:44; 276. Nathan Lang, 22:40; 277. Ryan Erickson, 22:42; 282. Mike Walker, 23:32.