- Special Sections
- Public Notices
Los Alamos Middle School’s cross country teams continued their trophy-collecting at Thursday’s Albuquerque Academy Invitational.
Sean Reardon, Nick Hill and Aaron Roybal took the top three spots in the eighth-grade boys race, with teammates Aaron Nguyen and Daniel Romero following in fifth and seventh places to win the team title Wednesday. The Hawks’ score of 18 was just three points shy of perfection.
Along with strong finishes by the other eight members of the team, LAMS finished 85 points ahead of second-place Moriarty.
Also at Wednesday’s competition, the Hawk eighth-grade girls, who went into Wednesday’s competition struggling with injury and illness, had an impressive showing against a tough Bernalillo squad, taking second.
In the seventh-grade girls race, Emily Pittman remained undefeated and the Hawks won the team competition, while in the seventh-grade boys race Keegan Bernstein had a big showing to lead LAMS to a second-place finish.
In a gutsy performance for the Hawk eighth-grade girls, Dana Crooks took second. She was aided in a solid team showing by Teresa Sandoval (sixth), Jordan Ahlers (eighth), Jennifer Mooday (ninth) and Anna Scott (14th).
Pittman won her third race of 2008 with a time of 12:58.
Eliana Riciputi was right on Pittman’s heels and finished third overall. Allie Parker and Katie Bowman finished 11th and 13th. They were joined by Abbey Wright (22nd) and Hannah Purtymun (23rd), which helped hold off strong teams from Peñasco and Albuquerque.
With the absence of Gus Saeger, Bernstein stepped up to the challenge in the seventh-grade, finishing second individually. Teammates Mike Walker (seventh), Tristan Goodwin (11th), Jeremy Goettee (12th), Nathan Aguirre (18th) and Colin Hemez (19th) all pitched in to give first-place Albuquerque Academy a scare on its home course.
At last week’s Desert Ridge Middle School meet, both LAMS’ seventh-grade teams finished second and both eight-grade squads won team titles.
The Hawks conclude their impressive inaugural season when they join the high school team to race at Santa Fe Indian School Saturday.
Here are LAMS’ results from Wednesday’s Albuquerque Academy Invitational:
1. LAMS , 50; 2. Peñasco, 58; 3. Albuquerque Academy, 63.
1. Emily Pittman, 12:58; 3. Eliana Riciputi, 13:34; 11. Allie Parker, 14:51; 13. Katie Bowman, 14:58; 22. Abbey Wright, 16:10; 23. Hannah Purtymun, 16:14; 31. Emma Lathrop, 16:57; 35. Shannon Doyle, 17:25; 43. Faith Glasco, 18:30; 57. Kristi Davis, 20:33.
1. Albuquerque Academy, 32; 2. LAMS, 50; 3. Desert Ridge, 94.
2. Keegan Bernstein, 12:53; 7. Mike Walker, 13:17; 11. Tristan Goodwin, 13:49; 12. Jeremy Goettee, 13:52; 18. Nathan Aguirre, 14:19; 19. Colin Hemez, 14:20.
1. Bernalillo, 30; 2. LAMS, 39; 3. Edgewood, 80.
2. Dana Crooks, 13:29; 6. Teresa Sandoval, 13:50; 8. Jordan Ahlers, 14:15; 9. Jennifer Mooday, 14:17; 14. Anna Scott, 14:51; 16. Janali Gustafson, 15:30; 21. Miranda Honnell, 16:54; 31. Caroline Rousculp, 17:58.
1. LAMS, 18; 2. Moriarty, 103; 3. Laguna-Acoma, 114.
1. Sean Reardon, 11:48; 2. Nick Hill, 12:15; 3. Aaron Roybal, 12:24; 6. Aaron Nguyen, 12:27; 7. Daniel Romero, 12:51; 11. Travis Richins, 13:23; 12. Zak Kennison, 13:32; 17. Daniel Hill, 13:51; 23. Noah Simpson, 14:20; 25. Aaron Bao, 14:37; 37. Nathan Lang, 15:55; 41. Robbie Mietz, 16:13; 43. Marcus Gutierrez, 16:36; 45. Chris West, 18:10.