- Special Sections
- Public Notices
It was another near-perfect performance for the Los Alamos Hilltopper cross country teams at the District 2AAAA championship meet Friday.
Friday’s meet, the only actual qualifying meet teams have for advancing to the state cross country meet, which takes place this weekend, was hosted this season by Bernalillo.
As they have since joining District 2AAAA in 2000, both the Hillltopper boys and girls varsity teams dominated. Los Alamos officially swept the decade with its teams’ performances Friday.
The Hilltopper girls earned their second-straight perfect score at the 2AAAA meet, sweeping the top five individual spots at Bernalillo.
Holly Walker earned her second district individual title in three years. The senior finished in 19 minutes, 29 seconds to earn the honor.
Newcomer Jennifer Mooday finished second behind Walker in the girls competition, posting a time of 20:01, while defending 2AAAA individual champion Megan Reader was third overall with a time of 20:19.
Helping to complete the perfect outing were fourth-place finisher Emily Pittman, an eighth-grader, and Victoria Honnell. Teresa Sandoval, who finished in eighth place overall, also earned, along with her top-five finishing teammates, All-District honors for 2009.
On the boys side, Kyle Pittman finished with another impressive time to grab a district individual championship as a senior. Pittman, who was defeated only one time this season, that coming a week earlier at the Los Alamos Invitational, crossed the finish line in just 15:38, nearly a full minute ahead of his next three closest competitors.
In a very tight, three-way race for the district’s individual runner-up, Ian Pulliam edged two other runners, including teammate Daniel Roybal. Pulliam and Roybal finished within a fraction of a second of one another.
Tim Wermer had a solid fifth-place finish for the Hilltoppers, while Alexander Romero came in sixth to ice the district team title. Los Alamos’ other two competitors in the race, Zach Breshears and Josh Bowman both cracked the top nine individually as well.
Both Los Alamos teams will advance to the state Class AAAA championship meet, which will be held Saturday at Rio Rancho High School. The girls Class AAAA race is scheduled for 10 a.m., while the boys AAAA race will start at 12:05 p.m.
In Friday’s junior varsity race, both the Hilltopper boys and girls teams finished with perfect scores. The Hilltopper girls took the top 11 individual spots Friday, while all 13 Hilltopper boys JV runners finished before another competitor from any other team completed the course.
Individually, Angie Hammer paced the girls JV effort, while Sean Reardon was the top boys JV finisher.
Here are Los Alamos’ results from Friday’s District 2AAAA championship meet. Runners in the top 10 individually receive All-District honors.
1. Los Alamos, 15; 2. Bernalillo, 51; 3. Española Valley, 72; 4. Taos, 105; Capital, no score.
1. Holly Walker, 19:29; 2. Jennifer Mooday, 20:01; 3. Megan Reader, 20:19; 4. Emily Pittman, 20:21; 5. Victoria Honnell, 20:28; 8. Teresa Sandoval, 20:37; 16. Elizabeth Brug, 21:30.
1. Los Alamos, 18; 2. Española Valley, 49; 3. Taos, 84; Bernalillo, Capital, no score.
1. Kyle Pittman, 15:38; 2. Ian Pulliam, 16:37; 4. Daniel Roybal, 16:37; 5. Tim Wermer, 16:46; 6. Alexander Romero, 16:54; 7. Zach Breshears, 17:11; 9. Josh Bowman, 17:39.
1. Los Alamos, 15; 2. Española Valley, 50.
1. Angie Hammer, 20:55; 2. Eliana Riciputi, 21:00; 3. Sylvia Holland, 21:21; 4. Victoria Trujillo, 21:25; 5. Janali Gustafson, 21:44; 6. Dana Crooks, 22:05; 7. Grace Liu, 22:08; 8. Annie Saeger, 22:26; 9. Sara Tuzel, 22:26; 10. Kim Boerigter, 22:35; 11. Rebecca Martineau, 22:39; 15. Meghan Montoya, 22:23.
1. Los Alamos, 15; 2. Española Valley, 60; 3. Taos, 65.
1. Sean Reardon, 17:18; 2. Jason Bossert, 17:27; 3. Nick Hill, 17:33; 4. Adam Lang, 17:59; 5. Tyler Roller, 18:06; 6. Misha Skurikhin, 18:08; 7. Daniel Romero, 18:10; 8. Ryan Hemphill, 18:14; 9. Chris Goen, 18:18; 10. Aaron Roybal, 18:23; 11. Zak Kennison, 18:40; 12. Mike Walker, 18:42; 13. Kris Stimmel, 18:46.