- Special Sections
- Public Notices
The LAFD guidelines suggest a zone (“Zone 1”) of at least 30 feet surrounding the home – a place where intensive defensible space measures can be effective. • Thin tree canopies to allow for an average clearance of 15 feet between crowns of trees
• For trees taller than 30 feet, trim limbs and branches to be at least 8 feet above ground level
• Trim tree limbs and branches at least 10 feet from the roof and 15 feet from any chimney
• Remove dead fuels or combustible debris away from the home — especially flammable vegetation such as dead leaves or pine needs that can tend to “layer” around properties yearly
• Vegetation remaining in Zone 1 should be of a fire resistant species and spaced or sized to disrupt ladder fuels (vegetation that allows fire to move from low growing plants to taller ones)
• Remove dead trees – standing and down – and any dead shrubs, branches or leaves
• Store firewood and combustible debris (wood scraps, grass clippings, leaf piles, etc) as far away as possible from porches, decks and crawl spaces
• If a fuel storage tank is present on the property, treat it as a separate structure and give it all possible defensible space considerations allowable by its location
If you currently subscribe or have subscribed in the past to the Los Alamos Monitor, then simply find your account number on your mailing label and enter it below.
Click the question mark below to see where your account ID appears on your mailing label.
If you are new to the award winning Los Alamos Monitor and wish to get a subscription or simply gain access to our online content then please enter your ZIP code below and continue to setup your account.