- Special Sections
- Public Notices
The Los Alamos County announced Friday that it is under Stage I Fire Restrictions.
The following acts are prohibited until further notice:
• Building, maintaining, attending or using an open fire, campfire, charcoal or wood stove on all Los Alamos County lands. (See Exemption 1)
• Smoking is prohibited except within an enclosed vehicle or building, a developed recreation site, or while stopped in an area at least 3-feet in diameter that is barren or cleared of all flammable materials.
Stage I Exemptions:
• Developed campgrounds with metal grills using charcoal or propane are acceptable on North Mesa campgrounds, Camp May, Overlook Park and at any park within the Los Alamos County proper, to also include all residential property within Los Alamos County. The Los Alamos County Fire Department urges the public to take every precaution necessary on all properties to prevent a fire.
• Persons with a written permit from the State Foresty Office (505-476-3353) that specifically authorizes the otherwise prohibited act.
• Persons using a device solely fueled by liquid petroleum or LPG fuels that can be turned on and off. Such devices can only be used in an area that is barren or cleared of all overhead and surrounding flammable materials within 3 feet of the device.
• Any Federal, State, or local officer or member of an organized rescue or firefighting force in the performance of an official duty.
An exemption does not absolve an individual or organization from liability or responsibility for any fire started by the exempted activity.
• Fireworks and incendiary devices are never allowed on federal public lands.
National Parks, Monuments, Preserves and Wildlife Refuges host year round fire restrictions. Contact Bandelier National Park and Valles Caldera if you plan to visit for specific restrictions.