Celebrity News 02-03-11

-A A +A
By Associated Press

Chris Brown completes domestic violence program


LOS ANGELES — Chris Brown has completed a domestic violence counseling program required as part of the singer’s guilty plea to assaulting then-girlfriend Rihanna nearly two years ago.
On Friday, Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Patricia Schnegg congratulated the 21-year-old R&B performer for finishing the yearlong program.
As a result of completing the required counseling, Brown will no longer have to appear in court every three months for progress report hearings.
Brown is serving five years of probation after pleading guilty last year to assaulting pop star Rihanna in a rented sports car after a pre-Grammy Awards party.
City News Service reports the judge said she would consider lifting the protective order against Brown at a later date. The order requires Brown to stay at least 100 yards away from Rihanna.

Rob Lowe shakes up his career

PARK CITY, Utah — Rob Lowe is shaking things up in his career and so far the moves are paying off.
The 46-year-old has a new film called “I Melt With You,” which debuted at the Sundance Film Festival this past week. He left the ABC drama “Brothers and Sisters” last spring and joined NBC’s Thursday-night sitcom “Parks and Recreation.” He also has a guest spot on the new season of Showtime’s “Californication.” And on top of all that, he’s releasing a memoir in May.
“At the moment, I feel really fulfilled,” Lowe says, but is also aware show business can be a roller coaster ride. “The thing about a long career is you go through periods where you’re unfulfilled, you go through periods where you’re hot and you’re cold. If you’re lucky enough to stick around, you go through all of it.”
“I Melt With You,” which also stars Jeremy Piven and Thomas Jane, is about a group of guy friends who get together for a yearly bonding weekend. The trip turns serious when they open up and begin to question the way their lives have unfolded.

David Arquette’s rep says he’s out of rehab

NEW YORK — David Arquette’s publicist says the actor has checked out of rehab.
In an e-mail Monday to The Associated Press, Cindy Guagenti confirms the 39-year-old actor left Sunday after completing treatment for alcohol and other problems. He entered an undisclosed rehab center nearly a month ago.
Arquette and Courteney Cox announced their separation in October after 11 years of marriage. They have a 6-year-old daughter, Coco.
The couple met on the set of the movie “Scream” in 1996 and married three years later. They are co-starring in the fourth installment of the “Scream” series, due out this year.
Arquette co-starred with Drew Barrymore in the 1999 romantic comedy “Never Been Kissed.”

Christina Applegate is a mom, and it’s a girl

LOS ANGELES — Actress Christina Applegate is a mom.
Her publicist says in a brief news release Tuesday that Sadie Grace LeNoble was born Jan. 27 in Los Angeles, and mother and daughter are doing great. There are no other details.
People.com was first to report the birth.
The 39-year-old “Married . With Children” and “Samantha Who?” star and 41-year-old Dutch musician Martyn LeNoble became engaged last Valentine’s Day. Her pregnancy was announced in July.
Applegate had a double mastectomy in July 2008 and reconstructive surgery months later. She is now cancer-free.

Govt recommends jail for “Survivor” champ Hatch

PROVIDENCE, R.I. — Federal prosecutors in Rhode Island are recommending a jail sentence for “Survivor” winner Richard Hatch for violating the terms of his supervised release.
Hatch served more than three years in prison for failing to pay taxes on the $1 million prize he won on the debut season of the CBS reality TV show.
A judge this month said Hatch violated the terms of his release by failing to file amended tax returns for the years 2000 and 2001.
Prosecutors said in court papers Monday that Hatch should return to jail. He faces a maximum of two years behind bars, or the remainder of his supervised-release term.
Hatch has said he didn’t refile his taxes because he has an appeal pending with the U.S. Tax Court. His lawyer has a chance to submit her own recommendation.

British actor Henry Cavill cast as Superman

NEW YORK — British actor Henry Cavill is going up, up and away.
Cavill will star as Superman (and, obviously, Clark Kent) in the next installment of the movie franchise. Warner Bros. Pictures announced the casting Sunday.
The film is to be directed by “300” director Zack Snyder, who says in a statement Cavill is “the perfect choice to don the cape and ‘S’ shield.”
No title has been announced for the film, which is intended to reboot the franchise after its latest incarnation fizzled. The 2006 movie “Superman Returns” was directed by Bryan Singer and starred Brandon Routh as the Man of Steel.
Cavill is relatively unknown. He had been considered for the blockbuster roles of Batman, James Bond and even the previous version of Superman. He co-starred on Showtime’s “The Tudors.”
Warner Bros. is targeting December 2012 for release.

The Associated Press