- Special Sections
- Public Notices
Only a handful of athletes from the Los Alamos Hilltopper boys track and field team traveled to the Rio Rancho Invitational Monday.
Los Alamos was originally scheduled to take part in the Rio Rancho meet Saturday, but the meet was postponed due to poor weather in the area. For several different reasons, Los Alamos elected to take just a few athletes down to the event.
Oliver Funsten had the biggest showing of the eight Hilltopper athletes who made Monday’s trip. Funsten, a senior, took top honors in the shot put competition, throwing 43 feet, 7 inches, then finished second in the discus with his toss of 135 feet.
Meanwhile, Tom Day was third in pole vaults (11-9) and grabbed two fifth-place finishes in the hurdle events.
Los Alamos is scheduled to compete at the Albuquerque Public Schools meet Saturday.
Here are Los Alamos’ results from Monday’s Rio Rancho Invitational.
1. Oliver Funsten, 43-7; Nate Robbins, 34-1 1/2.
2. Oliver Funsten, 135-0; 5. Nate Robbins, 108-5.
4. Spencer Schoonover, 142-10; Wade Archuleta, 123-10; Ian Snyder, 79-10.
3. Tom Day, 11-9.
Jacob Brown, 16-1/2.
Jacob Brown, 34-8 1/4.
5. Tom Day, 18.27; Isaac Jennings, 18.46.
5. Tom Day, 45.85; 6. Isaac Jennings, 47.30; Wade Archuleta, 49.15.