- Special Sections
- Public Notices
The Los Alamos Hilltopper boys track and field team picked up a solid second-place at its second meet of the season Saturday.
The Hilltoppers earned 71 points at Saturday’s Albuquerque Public Schools Invitational, held at Milne Stadium. They finished as the runner-up in team standings behind Class 5A Cibola, which earned an impressive 147 points to grab the team victory.
Los Alamos easily topped the other two Class AAAA entries at Saturday’s meet, St. Pius X and Bernalillo, which finished fifth and sixth in the final standings.
Hilltopper Kyle Pittman earned his second state qualifying mark of the season Saturday, winning the 1,600 meters with a time of 4:25.90.
Meanwhile, newcomer Charles Rappe took first in the 300 hurdles and second in the 110 hurdles. Rappe has won both 300 hurdle races he’s taken part in so far in the state of New Mexico and actually ran a better 110 time (15.66) than he did a week ago at Rio Rancho.
Los Alamos head coach Larry Baca said he’s encouraged by the numerous personal best marks his team managed Saturday, but said there’s still plenty of improvement that needs to be done.
“Our 4-by-100 looked good,” Baca said. “Our handoffs were great. We just ran slow. I was still cold…but the handoffs were great. I’m really pleased with that.”
In his first outing of the season, pole vaulter Tom Day won that event, clearing 11 feet, 6 inches. Also Saturday, Dan Christensen won the triple jump (38-1 ½) and Oliver Funsten, who has just joined the team after the conclusion of the hockey season, finished second in the discus.
Los Alamos will return to Albuquerque Friday for another APS meet.
Here are Los Alamos’ results from Saturday’s Albuquerque Public Schools Invitational.
1. Cibola, 147; 2. Los Alamos, 71; Eldorado, 52; 3. Albuquerque, 24; 4. Valley, 22; 5. St. Pius X, 16; 6. Bernalillo, 11.
5. Oliver Funsten, 42-11; Brad Lungsford, 33-5.
2. Oliver Funsten, 127-3; Brad Lungsford, 85-1.
4. Kory Balog, 153-4; David Brock, 146-3; Spencer Schoonover, 139-0.
1. Tom Day, 11-6.
5. Mike Sanchez, 5-4.
Dan Christensen, 16-6 1/2.
1. Dan Christensen, 38-1 1/2.
5. Niko Mendez, 12.22; Dan Christensen, 12.30.
Mike Sanchez, 25.10; Niko Mendez, 25.59.
2. Charles Rappe, 15.66; 4. Tom Day, 18.06.
1. Charles Rappe, 41.81; 5. Tom Day, 46.85.
Niko Mendez, 57.00.
3. Zach Breshears, 2:05.01; Daniel Roybal, 2:15.80; Adam Lang, 2:25.00.
1. Kyle Pittman, 4:25.90; Daniel Roybal, 5:01.20; Adam Lang, 5:09.33.
4. Tim Wermer, 10:24.81; Josh Bowman, 10:54.20.
3. Los Alamos (Cody Vaughn, David Brock, Alper Unal, Mike Sanchez), 47.19.
4. Los Alamos (Cody Vaughn, David Brock, Alper Unal, Mike Sanchez), 1:38.99.
1600 medley relay
2. Los Alamos (Cody Vaughn, David Brock, Alper Unal, Tim Wermer), 3:59.24.
Los Alamos (David Brock, Charles Rappe, Kyle Pittman, Tom Day), 3:37.54.