- Special Sections
- Public Notices
• At 5:30 p.m., Steve Roller will lead a Ruby K’s Community Hour discussion about specific strategies Los Alamos businesses can use to sell more, and how Los Alamos can sell itself as a community. Roller is a web copywriter, travel writer and an expert on what motivates people to buy. Ruby K’s Bagel Café is located at 1789 Central Avenue, Suite 2.
• Los Alamos Tuff Riders Mountain Bike Club, 5:30 p.m. at the Sullivan Field parking lot. For more information, go to tuffriders.losalamos.com.
• Expedition Caving Basics talk sponsored by the Pajarito Environmental Education Center. Learn what it’s like to spend a week living and working underground. Local caver Beth Cortright will provide details, pictures and video of a typical caving expedition. 6 p.m. at Mesa Public Library. Free. Contact PEEC or MPL for more information.
• National Day of Prayer. 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. First United Methodist Church, 715 Diamond Drive. 662-6277 or 662-6979. For more information visit NationalDayOfPrayer.org.
• Organic Soil Class at PEEC, 6:30 to 8 p.m. Learn how to feed and nourish not just crops, but soil too, with Laura Hardin, a certified arborist and integrated pest management specialist who specializes in diagnosing and solving tree and garden problems. $6/$5 PEEC members. Register in advance or pay at the door. For more information and to register, visit PajaritoEEC.org, call 662-0460, or email Programs@PajaritoEEC.org.
• Boy Scout Troop 22 95th Anniversary Planning Meeting. 7 p.m. Knights of Columbus, 104 DP Road. For more information, Beverly Aikin at email@example.com.
• Los Alamos Middle School presents, the play “The Red Velvet Cake Wars.” 7 p.m. at the Los Alamos Middle School gym. For more information email Michelle Grove at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• First Friday Forts at PEEC, 3:30 to 5 p.m. Build a fort or cook up something good in the mud kitchen. No formal program—just a time for kids to get together and have fun. Parents must stay and supervise their children. Free. For more information, visit PajaritoEEC.org, call 662-0460, or email Programs@PajaritoEEC.org.
• In celebration of National Scrapbooking Day. The Ladie’s Retreat will take place from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. at Tara Key’s Photography Studio, 13 Sherwood Blvd. in White Rock. Tickets are $30. Refreshments will be served. For more information and to reserve a spot call 672-8064.
• Los Alamos Middle School presents, the play “The Red Velvet Cake Wars.” 7 p.m. at the Los Alamos Middle School gym. For more information
email Michelle Grove at email@example.com.
• The United Thrift Shop is planning on being open from 9 a.m.-noon. Previously, it was open Wednesdays only. The plan is to open the Thrift Shop the first Saturday morning of each month.
• The “Stream Team” will again be planting willows in the Valles Caldera National Preserve today, May 18 and June 1. This is a chance to help restore beaver habitat and improve the hydrology of the Jemez River. To sign up, call Angelisa Espinoza at 988-9126.
• The May meeting of the Los Alamos Master Gardeners will be in the training room of the community building in Los Alamos. Program to be announced.
• The Los Alamos Concert Association presents the Borromeo String Quartet playing Stravinsky, Beethoven and Dvorak in the Duane Smith Auditorium. 7 p.m. Quartet in residence at the New England Conservatory, the Borromeo is noted for its innovative use of on-stage projections. Tickets $30 at CB Fox, both Smith’s and online at losalamosconcert.org. $35 at the door.
• Roger Wiens will host a book signing for “The Mars Rover Curiosity,” 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at CB Fox.
• The Los Alamos Arts Council presents the Spring Arts and Crafts Fair. 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Fuller Lodge Lawn. Free admission. For more information
call 663-0447 or visit losalamosartscouncil.org.
• Mesa Public Library presents “Author’s Speak Series.” 1:30 to 3 p.m. in the Upstairs Rotunda. Stephanie Sydoriak and Karen Boutilier Kendall are both memoirists and will informally discuss their work, followed by an audience Q and A, book signings and refreshments. For more information contact Carol Meine at 662-8247 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• The Los Alamos Choral Society will join with the
Los Alamos Community Winds and the Los Alamos High School Choirs in a performance of Beethoven’s 9th Symphony, 4 p.m. at the Duane Smith Auditorium.
• Cowboy Breakfast.
7 a.m. to 11 a.m. at the Los Alamos Sheriff’s Posse Lodge. 650 North Mesa Road, near the stables. $7, adults; $4, children 10 and under.