- Special Sections
- Public Notices
• Poetry Potluck. 6:30 p.m., at the Mesa Public Library Upstairs Rotunda. Special open mike event — all are welcome.
• The Republican Party of Los Alamos will elect the 2013-2015 County Central Committee and its officers at the Jeannette O. Wallace Hall, room 505, at UNM-LA, 400 University Drive. The County Contingent to the Republican Party of New Mexico Central Committee will also be elected. Republicans registered in the county are encouraged to attend. Registration opens at 6:30 p.m. and closes at 7 p.m. A meeting of the 2011-2012 Central Committee begins at 7 p.m. followed by ward caucuses and the county convention. For information, contact Robert Gibson, 662-3159, email@example.com.
• The Democratic monthly meeting is 7 p.m. at UNMLA. They will be discussing the budget and planning for the June 8 JFK fundraiser. All registered Democrats are invited to attend.
• White Rock Presbyterian Church hosts benefit “Soup-er Supper,” 5:30 to 7:30 p.m., 310 Rover Blvd. There will be homemade soups, breads and cookies. Some vegan, gluten-free and dairy-free dishes available as well. The event is organized by Presbyterian Women and is open to the public. No charge for the meal, however donations are accepted. All donations will go to hunger relief organizations locally and globally such as L.A. Cares, Oxfam America, Bread for the World, Presbyterian Hunger Fund and Heifer International.
• RSVP to participate in National Volunteer week event on April 23. 3-4 p.m., Oppenheimer Place, 1001 Oppenheimer, ground floor patio room. Learn more about volunteering with the Los Alamos Visiting Nurse Service, home care and hospice programs. Refreshments provided. Call Cynthia Goldblatt, 662-2525.
• LARSO Annual Public Meetings at both senior centers, to hear ideas, concerns and feedback about the services we provide. 2 p.m. at the White Rock Senior Center.
• New artist Becky Steritz will display her work, 5-7 p.m. at the “Living Things” exhibit opening reception. Meet Steritz and other local artists at the opening reception at Karen Wray Fine Art Gallery, located in downtown Los Alamos at 1475 Central Ave, suite 125.
• Annual Earth Day Festival. 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Free to the public for booths and displays where community groups show their earth-friendly products and practices, and provide information about our environment on the Pajarito Plateau. Good food, hands-on activities and entertainment for all. See PajaritoEEC.org, call 662-0460, or email Programs@PajaritoEEC.org for more information.
• Rumelia at Pyramid Cafe. 6:30 p.m. for dinner, dancing, traditional and contemporary music from Macedonia, Albania, Bulgaria, Turkey and Greece. $7.
• Appalachian flat-footing workshop with dancer Nic Gareiss. 3:30-5 p.m., NMDT, 149 Central Park Square. Flat-footing is a solo freestyle form of American dance originating in the Appalachian mountains, with connections to Western European, Native American and West African dance. Tickets are $20 in advance $25 at the door. For more information and to register, call Adrienne Bellis at 670-2152.
• Masonic Lodge Waffle Breakfast Team 4153 fundraiser, 7:30-10:30 a.m. Adults $7, children under 6, $3. Supports Project Y Los Alamos’ local robotics program.
• “Pegasus,” Los Alamos High School’s art and literary magazine hosts its third annual swap meet from 8 a.m. to whenever at the high school parking lot. Spaces are still available for a donation of $20, which may be paid at the LAHS bookkeeping office or on the morning of the event. Vendors must supply their own table and/or shade if needed. Donations of items the students can sell may be dropped off at the LAHS main office or at 7:45 a.m. Saturday. In the event of rain or snow, the sale will be rescheduled for April 27.