- Special Sections
- Public Notices
Friday in Santa Fe:
• 5 p.m.-7 p.m.: Art exhibit at El Museo
• Workshop on non-violent direct action (relating to activities planned for Mon. Aug. 6.
Saturday in Santa Fe:
• Center for Contemporary Arts (CCA), 1050 Old Pecos Trail, Santa Fe, NM 87505
• 9 a.m.-9:15 a.m.: Ceremonial opening and blessing: Las Mujeras Hablan
• 9:30 a.m.-10:45 a.m.: Nuclear Weapons 101: With Jay Coghlan, Scott Kovac, and Marylia Kelley
• 10:45 a.m.-11:15 a.m.: The Bridge From Nuclear Weapons to Nuclear Power: Linda Gunter
• 11:15 a.m.-12:30 p.m.: Community Stories of the Nuclear Legacy: with Las Mujeras Hablan, Tina Cordova*, and Kristen Iverson
• 12:30 p.m.-1:30 p.m.: Lunch break
• 1:30 p.m.-1:45 p.m.: How the U.S.A. is Endowing Existing Nuclear Weapons with New Military Capabilities: Hans Kristensen on the Life Extension Program (by video)
•1:45 p.m.-3 p.m.: Spiritual Activism and Nuclear Guardianship: With Las Mujeras Hablan, Pancho Ramos Stierle, Cynthia Jurs, and Father John Dear
• 3 p.m.-4 p.m.: Nuclear Economics: Jeff Dumas and Bill Hartung
• 4 p.m.-4:15p.m.: Break
• 4:30 p.m.-5:45 p.m.: The Environment and Citizen Action: With Las Mujeras Hablan, Joni Arends, and Eric Jantz
• 5.45 p.m.: Closing remarks
• 7.30 p.m.: Spoken word performance, From Pearl Harbor to Hiroshima: Arjun Mahkijani
The Forgotten Bomb, followed by a Q&A session with filmmaker, Bud Ryan
White Light, Black Rain
Atomic States of America
Sunday in Los Alamos:
• Rally in Ashley Pond Park, Los Alamos, speakers, music, teach-ins, and information
• During the afternoon, music will be provided by Mufari Marimba, Mark S and Billy B, and Laurianne Fiorentino. Nationally-known and New Mexican anti-nuke activists will speak.
• Lloyd J. Dumas, Professor of Political Economy, Economics and Public Policy at the University of Texas at Dallas, will speak about redirecting national laboratories toward civilian-oriented research to spur economic growth and increase national security.
Arjun Makhijani, President of the Institute for Energy and Environmental Research in Takoma Park, Maryland, will speak about sustainable energy and the hidden costs of nuclear power.
• Pancho Ramos Stierle, of Occupy Oakland, will speak about the meaning of disobeying with great love.
• Kristen Iversen, author of Full Body Burden: Growing Up in the Nuclear Shadow of Rocky Flats, will speak about the lack of transparency within the government and nuclear industries.
• Linda Pentz Gunter, international specialist at Beyond Nuclear, will speak about the toxic burden of uranium mining on the nation’s indigenous peoples.
Some of the distinguished local activists who will speak are: Alaric Balibrera, hunger striker; Eric Jantz of the New Mexico Environmental Law Center; Father John Dear, author of 28 books on peace and nonviolence; Jeff Haas, civil rights attorney; Lisa Putkey of Think Outside the Bomb; and Robert Chavez of Honor Our Pueblos Existence.
• Audio link to the sounding of the Peace Bell in Hiroshima, Japan
• “Sackcloth and Ashes” peace march led by Pax Christi, New Mexico
• Floating of peace lanterns on the Ashley Pond
Aug. 6 in Los Alamos:
• A full day of non-violent direct action in Los Alamos.